Moulton ISD responds to alleged threats made against the school on Wednesday
Dr. Fairchild assures parents police have situation in hand
Moulton school superintendent Renee Fairchild reached out to The Moulton Eagle late Wednesday morning in response to alleged threats made toward the school earlier that same day.
She said the following statement was sent out to parents:
“MISD’s first priority is the safety of students and staff,” the statement begins.
“Law enforcement notified us of a possible outside threat and assured us that there is no imminent danger to our staff and students at this time. We are cooperating with law enforcement and have enacted appropriate safety measures,” it said, adding the updates will be sent as soon as they were available.
The next update came out at 4:28 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 7.
“Law enforcement has reported that the earlier situation has been resolved and feels there is no longer an issue,” the afternoon statement read. “Law enforcement will monitor any future concerns. MISD takes all reported issues seriously. The safety and security of our students and staff continue to be our main priority.”
Moulton ISD is the second district to have enacted safety protocols since students returned to classes in mid-August. Yoakum ISD went into lockdown on two consecutive days late last month, after a 12-year-old reportedly befriended a student on social media and later phoned in threats against the school.
Wednesday’s situation in Moulton came one day after schools and towns everywhere were asked to wear maroon and white, in a show of support to students and faculty at Uvalde ISD who made their first return to school on Tuesday, Sept. 6, following to the awful killings that took place on their grounds at the hands of lone gunmen at end of the 2021-22 school year in May.